I just posted the video clip from 60 minutes that Nicole Adams mentioned in our class yesterday. It's excellent and I think it really speaks to the topic of our book.
Let's get the non-class participants involved and try to start a conversation about this video.
Do you buy what the piece is contending? Do you know any terrible people like this bringing down our world (my son and my daughters actually fit the profile of age group - the verdict is still out on the rest of it)?
Does that get you going enough to start blogging?
Tuesday, October 28, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
It will be interesting to see how these Millennials raise their kids. Will they heap on even more praise or become more strict?
I agree that there is too much hand-holding and fear of hurting feelings and even the fear of one winner and labels of losing. For example, not keeping score at our kids' soccer games. Yet we all whisper to each other and try not to make a big deal about winning or losing. To speak up and say, I don't agree would lead to an uproar and even a potential lawsuit (that may be extreme but that's what it seems like these days).
We have adapted and adjusted to every different generation throughout history. We can only hope that we learn from our mistakes (if we make any :-))!
Wow, what an interesting video. It is so clear how every generation is so different from the last. It seems like parents of those kids did a lot of things right. They maybe could have used a bit more reality, however. They called it Fantasy Parenting in the video. I always wonder what the generation of my children will be like as adults? I hope that they will be somewhat like the children on the video with better work ethics and less overbearing parents! I had to respect some of younger people's attitudes towards work. Namely, that they don't believe in "blind careerism" and they value lifestyle and friends and family above work. I understood better how youth see nothing of bouncing around to get the best job. It does sort of make sense that you could expect a great job and experiment when you are young, before marriage and family. What I hope our generation of parents will learn is to have expections of our children while still understanding their limitations. In our book they call it "Expecting too much too soon". I really found the part that parents are so involved in their childrens' work, like calling bosses to complain, absurd!
I'm glad this was posted -- it was really interesting. I think like everything else in life moderation is key. I don't mind the "no score" and trophies when they are little, but we need to progress to the point where they have to start dealing with unpleasantness. I do have to admit that I think that in the era of no job security etc picking life (family, friends) over work may be the only sure bet they have left!
This didn't make it through the system so I'm posting it. "Horselover, I'm very impressed that you were able to work with your husband. I'm finding that to be the most difficult part of reading/learning from this book. Any ideas anyone???
As for having your kids make dinner, we are doing the same thing in our house. It is great to have a night off and the kids really enjoy the responsibility of scheduling the evening with planning/making dinner, homework and play time all on their own."
Post a Comment